What’s your HERS Index?
As a new home builder in the Oklahoma City area, our energy-efficient, high performance homes are designed to help you live healthier as well as save up to 20% each year on your energy bills. Your HERS Index tells you exactly how big these saving could be for you.
What is the HERS Index?
The Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Index is the industry standard by which a home’s energy efficiency is measured. It’s also the nationally recognized system for inspecting, testing and calculating a home’s energy performance.
What does that mean to the homeowner?
- It saves you money on your energy bills
- It provides a healthier living environment
- You contribute to protecting the planet
How to get a HERS home energy rating
Two Structures Homes are built to fulfill the requirements to achieve a strong HERS rating. Look at our standard features, as well as our green home features.
The HERS evaluator will do a comprehensive HERS home energy rating on your home to assess its energy performance. The energy rating will consist of a series of diagnostic tests using specialized equipment, such as a blower door test, duct leakage tester, combustion analyzer and infrared cameras.
These checks will show:
- The effectiveness of insulation inside walls and ceilings
- The amount and location of air leaks in the home
- The amount of leakage from HVAC ducts
- Reveal potential combustion safety issues
Other factors that are taken into account are:
- Quality of windows, doors, vents and ductwork
- Condition of the water heating system and thermostats
- Floors over unconditioned spaces such as garages or basements
- Condition of attics, foundations and crawlspaces
Once the tests have been completed, a computerized simulation analysis will be used to calculate a rating score on the HERS Index.